Friday, October 21, 2011

Wild Geese Chase!

So I was happily clicking through pictures from one blog to another, when I happened upon a flickr account by Lee from a blog called  Freshly Pieced.  She has such wonderful blocks in very modern color combinations.  I love these blocks that she has posted.  Anyway, one of the pictures is of a block called Circle of Geese.  (check it out here.)  So I google "Circle of Geese quilt block" looking for directions for making this block.  And I get a link to piecebynumber.com with a pattern for Circle of Geese.  I realized that this is a paper pieced block.  Well I've never done paper piecing before.  So back to google I go.  This time I search "paper piecing tutorial" and a number of youtube links come up.  I looked through several until I came upon a tutorial that I thought would work for me.  I liked this tutorial because she spent a lot less time measuring and cutting and did it all a little more improvised.

Well here is my first attempt...

Now you might say to yourself, "that looks like a pretty good block!"  Until you realize that the lack of squareness of the block is not a trick of the camera angle, but an effect of my "improvised paper piecing."  Especially when you see this:
This is the point (or lack of point) of one of the interior triangles.  I was not pleased when I noticed this.

Anyway, all in all I suppose it isn't a terrible first try.  But I think I will do a little more measuring and cutting next time and less improvising!   Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, this is so cool! I have been wanting to do something with geese. This just may be it. I will put it in my ideas list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever wanted to get free YouTube Views?
    Did you know you can get them AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FREE by getting an account on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete